Welcome to Gavin Reid's website, which contains details of his publications, articles, and other resources.
Academic Qualifications and professional affiliations - M.A, M.App.Sci, M.Ed., Ph.D, B.Ed, AMBDA, Assoc. F. B.P.S, Chartered Educational Psychologist
Dr. Gavin Reid is a consultant to the Centre for Child Evaluation and Teaching (CCET) based in Kuwait. He is also educational psychologist to REACH Learning Center in North Vancouver, Canada and a director and consultant to the Red Rose School for children with specific learning difficulties in St. Annes on Sea, Lancashire. He was a senior lecturer in the Department of Educational Studies, Moray House School of Education, University of Edinburgh from 1991-2007.
He has made over 600 conference and seminar presentations in over 45 countries including Norway, Denmark, Germany, United States, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Iceland, Poland, Republic of Ireland, Slovakia, Estonia, Greece, Austria, Slovenia, Israel, Egypt, Gambia, Canada, Dubai, Kuwait and Hungary.
He currently 21 books in print in the area of teacher education in the field of dyslexia, literacy learning styles and motivation and wrote and developed the first Masters course in Specific Learning Difficulties in the UK in 1993. Many of his books are used as course texts in courses throughout the UK and in many other countries. These include: Dyslexia: A Practitioners Handbook (Wiley 1998, 2003), Dyslexia: A Complete Guide for Parents (2004), Dyslexia and Inclusion (2005) and Learning Styles and Inclusion (2005). Some of his books have been translated into Arabic, Polish, Italian and Greek.
He is co-author of a computer aided diagnostic assessment and profiling procedures (Special Needs Assessment Profile –SNAP) which has received three national award commendations and was winner of the Special Needs Category at the NASEN/TES book awards in Birmingham, UK in March 2006.
He has been invited to be external examiner at fifteen universities world wide for PhD candidates and masters courses. He was a member of the British Dyslexia Association Teacher Training Accreditation Board from 1996-2007 and was also overseas patron for the Learning and Behaviour Charitable Trust in New Zealand. He is the international consultant for the Canadian Academy of Therapeutic Tutors.
Gavin Reid’s Publications currently in print
1. A guide for Teaching Assistants for Dyslexia (2007)(co-author Shannon Green ) Continuum,
2. 100 Ideas for supporting students with dyslexia - Continuum Books, 2007 (co-author with Shannon Green, REACH learning center, Vancouver.
3. Dyslexia (2nd Edition ) Continuum Books (2007).
4. Motivating Learners – Strategies for the Classroom Sage Publications (2007)
5. Dyslexia: a Practitioner’s Handbook (3rd edition 2002) Wiley, Reprinted 2004,2005 (twice),2006
6. Dyslexia: A Complete Guide for Parents (2004) Wiley reprinted 2004, 2005 (3 times) 2006 also published in Italian
7. Dyslexia and Inclusion (2005) NASEN/ David Fulton
8. Dyslexia (2005) Continuum Books, also published in Polish
9. Learning Styles and Inclusion (2005) Sage Publications (also published in Polish).
10. Dyslexia in Adults Education and Employment (2000), Wiley
, co-author reprinted 2006
11. Listening and Literacy Index – A Group Test to Identify Specific Learning Difficulties (2001), Hodder Co-author.
12. Meeting Difficulties in Literacy Development (2002), Routledge/ Falmer –co-authors Janice Wearmouth, Janet Soler
13. Introduction to Dyslexia (2003), David Fulton publishers, co-author Lindsay Peer
14. Special Needs Assessment Profile (SNAP) (2003), co-author Charles Weedon, Hodder and Stoughton (version 2 2006)
15. Multilingualism, Literacy and Dyslexia- A Challenge for Educators (2000, reprinted 2006). David Fulton Publishers, London co-editor Lindsay Peer
16. Dyslexia: Successful Inclusion in the Secondary School (2001),
David Fulton Publishers, London, co-editor Lindsay Peer
17. Dyslexia and Literacy- Research and Practice, (2001) reprinted 2002,2003,2004, 2006 twice) Wiley –co-editor Janice Wearmouth
18. Contextualising Difficulties in Literacy Development (2002) Routledge/Falmer / OU –co editors Janet Soler and Janice Wearmouth
19. Addressing Difficulties in Literacy Development (2002) Routledge/Falmer / OU –co editors Janice Wearmouth and Janet Soler
20. Dyslexia in Context (2004) co-editor Angela Fawcett, Whurr Publications
21. Concern Assess Provide it all (2008) co –author with Fil Came published by Learning Works International, foreword by Baroness Mary Warnock (www.learning-works.org.uk)
The Dyslexia Handbook (Sage publications co-editors Frank Manis, Linda Siegel and Angela Fawcett
The Routledge Companion to Dyslexia (co-editor Janice Wearmouth Zealand), Gad Elebheri and Deborah Knight
Special Needs Handbook (Wiley co-editor with Fil Came and Steve Chinn(UK)
Chapters in books
Specialist Teacher Training in the U.K. Issues, Considerations and Future Directions (2001) . in M. Hunter Carsch(ed.) Dyslexia : A Psychosocial Perspective Whurr Publications, London, pgs. 252- 262
Dyslexia (2005) in Ann Lewis and Brahm Norwich (editors) Special Teaching for Special Children (pags 138-150)
Specific Learning Difficulties – the Continuum (2003) in Nichola Jones Developing School Provision for Children with Dyspraxia (Sage Publications)
Learning Styles and ADHD in New Perspectives on ADHD (2006) – edited by Lloyd, G (OU press)